"Hand" a new virtual reality artwork by Bryn Oh


     Hand is now open to the public.  It was built for virtual reality using headsets such as the oculus rift or vive, but it can also be navigated by your computer.  Just a little side note ... do you remember when you first visited Second Life or another open ended virtual world?  How exciting and almost overwhelming it was?  For me I had never experienced anything like  it before, but over the years that excitement fades as you get used to it and you almost wish it could be fresh like that again.  Just to let you know, if you have not used virtual reality before it is similar.  It is new and strange and inspiring. Anyway just saying.

     So the first thing you need to do is install Sansar if you don't already have it. 
You can do that here...  https://www.sansar.com/

Then you can find "hand" by searching for Bryn Oh and it should pop up or try this https://atlas.sansar.com/experiences/brynoh/hand

Next see the ungainly red markings I put down?  They show where to click.

 Click the three dot icon
 Choose settings
 Then make a checkmark under VR for shadowed atmostpherics and ambient occlusion.  These settings are off by default but add some nice aesthetic effects I worked on if you click them. 














     I would also suggest, if you are new to using VR, to not run in this build.  Run makes me a wee bit queasy as its too fast and jarring,  walking is slow but much more comfortable to me.  Also you will need to jump so find that button.

     I am obligated to acknowledge the support of the Ontario Arts Council but I do so quite willingly, furthermore, I would like to explain why their support is so important to an artist in a fringe medium  such as myself.   This artwork has taken me almost a year to build and I will likely not generate any revenue from it unless it goes into a gallery or museum somewhere.  To undertake a project like this with potentially few prospects is, as you can imagine, unwise.  The financial support helps but perhaps what is even more important is the psychological support one feels to take on such a large project.  They believe in me which is so very encouraging.  In my life I have lots of friends and family who are completely indifferent to what I do as an artist.  They know I do some kind of computery art thing but some have never even once asked a question or shown any curiosity.  And that's fine, I don't want to actually talk about what I do to someone who doesn't care anyway.  I don't crave the glazed over eye look.  But imagine working so hard on something and then feeling like you are alone and nobody cares, it can be deflating and you question yourself and what you do.  Was I insane to abandon a successful oil painting career to jump into immersive virtual environment art.  Recognition and support from the OAC, for me, is something that reinvigorates my confidence and says to keep going and striving in this art medium that I truly believe in.  So I would like to thank again the OAC and the great work they do.


Comments

Trindolyn Beck said…
Trindolyn Beck here. You've had a wonderful experience with the aide of OAC and in my mind you have used it properly and artistically beyond all expectations. I understand everything you have said here about giving up other mediums to concentrate on 3D even while feeling nobody cares or appreciates your effort. Bryn Oh's contribution to the world of Submersible Art is unprecedented and showers the 3D community as a whole with what can be achieved with hard work. However, Bryn, my friend, Art remains all about you. Do what makes you happy and expresses your needs. Nothing else matters. Thank you for all your wonder art.

Popular Posts